[Standards] Don't let today be the day we bury OMEMO

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Jun 7 20:56:16 UTC 2017

On 7 Jun 2017, at 21:46, Ignat Gavrilov <ignat.gavrilov at mailfence.com> wrote:
>> From: Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com>
>> I can understand that argument, but I think a lot of people want to have the currently deployed thing-that-isn’t-OMEMO (OMEMO-siacs) in XEP-0384. I’d rather it was documented in a different XEP too, but putting it in 384 is part of the compromise.
>
> 1. A lot of people don't give a f*** on what is in XEP-384, those people are called users and they build the large majority of the XMPP network.

That may well be true, but this thread, and many others recently, have been started by people who do care what’s in XEPs. That’s kinda the point of this organisation.

> 2. I think we should adapt to the fact that the thing-that-isn’t-OMEMO is what most users (again the majority) recognize as OMEMO. Maybe we should start calling it OMEMO and the-thing-that-is-in-the-XEP-but-nobody-cares shall be XEP-OMEMO? OMEMO did exist before it was a XEP so obviously OMEMO is not solely defined by what is in the XEP.

Indeed, publishing a version of XEP-0384 that matches the current implementations, before we move on, is aimed to address this so that the ambiguity is removed. Then we can move on with the standards process.

/K