[Standards] Don't let today be the day we bury OMEMO

Ignat Gavrilov ignat.gavrilov at mailfence.com
Wed Jun 7 21:15:23 UTC 2017

Before anyone (including me) gets outrageous here, I wonder what this compromise is exactly:

a) The OMEMO-siacs is put into the/a XEP and all future standardizing work is put into OMEMO-NEXT (not using XEdDSA) which will then become the next version of the XEP (maybe in years). There won't be any work or updates on XEdDSA-based OMEMO.
b) The OMEMO-siacs is put into the/a XEP and both protocols are developed independently (learning from each other), keeping the XEdDSA-based OMEMO alife for some time, including changes like ODR and at some point (maybe in years) move over to OMEMO-NEXT.
c) The OMEMO-siacs is put into the/a XEP and both protocols are developed independently (learning from each other), keeping the XEdDSA-based OMEMO alife for some time, including changes like ODR and nobody cares about OMEMO-NEXT

I don't care about which XEP number exactly is used for what. Seriously XEP numbers are for developers and not for users and if we want XMPP to survive we have to put the effort into the users, so the majority of XMPP developers should not care about which XEP has which number, as long as it supports the protocols used by the users, right?

Ignat.