[Standards] Don't let today be the day we bury OMEMO

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jun 8 18:50:54 UTC 2017

On 8 June 2017 at 18:23, Ignat Gavrilov <ignat.gavrilov at mailfence.com> wrote:
> [...]

There exist about four variations on OMEMO currently.

1) What's implemented.

2) What's specified.

3) What Andy wants everyone to change to.

4) What Remko wants everyone to change to.

The "Compromise" is to align 1 and 2 by specifying the actual
practise, and then develop a (5) instead of either 3 and 4, but that
satisfies the arguments behind both proposals.

As far as I'm aware, nobody is arguing for stopping after the first
step - and that means that all implementations are going to have to
change *anyway*. When considering changing key formats, we want to
change earlier, not later, I would argue.

Finally, I'd note that the "rough consensus" we talk about is best
thought of as a consensus of arguments, and not of opinions. Forgive
me while I wax philosophical for a moment, but the idea is that every
argument brought to the table is tested. Those which seem to be valid
then influence the final solution chosen. Ideally, every argument
would be satisfied by the final solution, but that's not always
possible.

In any case, the XSF should strive to be neither autocratic, nor a
popularity contest.

Dave.