[Standards] XEP Authors

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Fri Jun 9 11:37:22 UTC 2017

> However, I don't think this is particularly contentious. We have lots
> of documents for which one of the "Authors" hasn't made any input for
> several revisions.

See the Jingle XEPs for example. I doubt the Google folks listed as
authors have looked at this spec in a _decade_ (and at least one of them
has left google).

Removing someone who did a lot of work on a specification feels bad so
people tend to avoid doing.

> I see three cases for moving Authors to a "Previous
> Authors" section:
>
> a) This legal issue, which might expose authors and their employers.
> By clearly marking that an author is not current, it should address
> the concerns of (for example) Cisco's legal department.
> b) The case where an Author discovers their name still against a XEP
> and is concerned that the XEP misrepresents their views. I believe we
> have had such cases, and although obviously Authors can already
> request their removal in entirety, this also removes all
> acknowledgement for previous hard work.

Yes, I've had that situation with Peter once in the past. Resolved
happily in a subsequent revision and we talked a lot thereafter :-)

> c) The case where Authors are simply unresponsive to concrete
> proposals and stall the standards process. While Council can again
> remove an Author entirely, this often seems like a nuclear option - as
> if Council is punishing, rather than simply moving things along.
>
> I see, on the other hand, no advantage to *not* having a Previous
> Authors section which properly acknowledges those who have put
> considerable effort into the document. I'm also happy to list these at
> the top of the document, maybe just like:

+1 -- this seems to work well for the W3C. It is also a bigger
acknowledgement than just adding them to the list of people who contributed.

Also thank you for taking the time to raise this!