[Standards] XEP Authors

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Jun 9 15:04:26 UTC 2017

On 6/9/17 8:58 AM, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>> I'm considering advising Board that we should address this by
>> instituting a policy whereby changes to XEPs result in all listed
>> authors being notified (a PR will do, I imagine), and those who do not
>> respond within a reasonable time (hand-wave, hand-wave) must be
>> de-listed and moved to a "Previous Authors" section of the XEP.
>
> Legal concerns that I don't understand aside, this sounds sensible to
> me. However, I'm concerned that it will be yet another task for the
> editor to manually perform. I already still have a lot of trouble
> dealing with XEPs (apologies for being behind again; I've been
> reluctant to get back to publishing them lately), so I'd like to not
> add yet another email or manual step that has to be performed or more
> wait time between submission and publishing.
>
> If we can automate this it would be good.

I'm afraid I don't see a way to automate this.

With RFC 8141, I actually had to send a letter through the postal mail
to the author of RFC 2141! But given our IPR policies I don't think we
will need to receive explicit approval from previous authors, so we can
do this manually but without email interaction (although a pro-forma
notification might be friendly).