[Standards] XEP Authors

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Fri Jun 9 15:14:00 UTC 2017

Am 09.06.2017 um 16:58 schrieb Sam Whited:
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>> I'm considering advising Board that we should address this by
>> instituting a policy whereby changes to XEPs result in all listed
>> authors being notified (a PR will do, I imagine), and those who do not
>> respond within a reasonable time (hand-wave, hand-wave) must be
>> de-listed and moved to a "Previous Authors" section of the XEP.
>
> Legal concerns that I don't understand aside, this sounds sensible to
> me. However, I'm concerned that it will be yet another task for the
> editor to manually perform. I already still have a lot of trouble
> dealing with XEPs (apologies for being behind again; I've been
> reluctant to get back to publishing them lately), so I'd like to not
> add yet another email or manual step that has to be performed or more
> wait time between submission and publishing.
>
> If we can automate this it would be good.

Acknowledging someone as a contributor (or inviting them to be
co-author) is an authors responsibility, not something the editors
should be concerned with (usually).

Someone might not even want to get acknowledged for providing a
whitespace fix. For such cases, linking to githubs "who contributed"
should be sufficient (does that show nicely for a single file?)