[Standards] Dealing with the choice to have a different MIX roster format

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Wed Jun 14 07:04:53 UTC 2017

Jonas,

Thanks for the clarification here.

[Steve Kille]

The underlying issue is that we decided to have a different roster format that marks MIX channels, and have the server behave differently.

I think choices we have are

1.   Only return roster information one way.   Two choices:
   a) Drop the extended information (seems a bad idea); or
   b) Always send the extended information (might work or might give some clients problems)

2.   Have the server work out client capability.     If the server does not know when it gets a roster request, it has to ask the client before responding to the request.   This is what the spec currently says.    Some clients might not work with this (if they block on the roster request), which could be a problem we want to avoid.   We can fix for newer clients by having a mechanism for clients to share MIX capability early, but this may not help legacy clients.

3.  Have a new MIX operation to be used before any roster request, declaring the desire for extended roster information (you suggestion).   I can see much sense in this approach.

What do others think?

Steve