[Standards] XEP-0369 (MIX): When to deliver messages to a client

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Wed Jun 14 07:23:49 UTC 2017

Jonas,

> From <https://github.com/xsf/xeps/compare/
> master...stevekille:MIX#diff-46551996fe454185b68cb3f084c2e18fR2426>:
>
> > The server receiving the message will then deliver the messages to all
> > online clients with status available and a non-negative resource priority.
>
> I think the new wording here excludes any client with e.g. away, na, dnd or
> xa status from receiving MIX messages. That sounds like overkill (I’m not
> even sold on not receiving MIX messages with negative presence priority
> actually).
[Steve Kille]

You asked me to fix an ambiguity, which I did!

I guess that we now need to work out the situations when to not deliver MIX messages to  a client.

I can see merit in having the client being able to signal it, which this wording allows.

I can also see a case for delivering the message whenever the TCP connection is there.   This keeps things simple.

I'm not sure what is best here.   Thoughts from client developers welcome.

Steve