[Standards] (MIX) - When to increment Namespace

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Jun 14 11:37:22 UTC 2017

On 14 Jun 2017, at 12:30, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> A sticking point I have, however, is that the specification should
> update as needed to match our current consensus - holding back changes
> outside of the XSF is problematic, and while one might argue that
> "everyone knows" where to find the "real" spec, I would suggest that
> this is only true for some novel definitions of "everyone”.

I largely agree with this.

*However*, the current breaking change is worthwhile (I think), but stylistic and I would not think it worth publishing on its own, so I don’t think it’s sensible to create a new breaking version just for it - it doesn’t solve any problems.

So I suggest we wait for the next justified breakage (in a few weeks, I imagine), and then push this one, as anyone implementing the current spec would get more interop than implementing the newly-bumped version.

/K