[Standards] Dealing with the choice to have a different MIX roster format

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu Jun 15 15:38:59 UTC 2017

On 15.06.2017 17:26, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
>> Like when? Most, if not all, things in XMPP are context sensitive, and
>> we already re-use the same element in different contexts in XEPs.
>
> Can you give an example? I don't think this is true; remember that
> elements are qualified by the local part of their name and the
> namespace, so <x xmlns="test"> is not the same element as <x
> xmlns="example">,

I know.

> Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean by "context"; please> post an example for clarity.

You misunderstood.

The point here is that a <mix xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> element as child
of <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'/>, is different than <mix
xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> as child element of <message
xmlns='jabber:client'/>.

I can't remember when something like that has ever caused problems, or
how I could cause problems in this particular case.

- Florian