[Standards] Dealing with the choice to have a different MIX roster format

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Jun 15 15:54:16 UTC 2017

On Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2017 17:38:59 CEST Florian Schmaus wrote:
> On 15.06.2017 17:26, Sam Whited wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu>
wrote:
> >> Like when? Most, if not all, things in XMPP are context sensitive, and
> >> we already re-use the same element in different contexts in XEPs.
> >
> > Can you give an example? I don't think this is true; remember that
> > elements are qualified by the local part of their name and the
> > namespace, so <x xmlns="test"> is not the same element as <x
> > xmlns="example">,
>
> I know.
>
> > Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean by "context"; please> post
> > an example for clarity.
> You misunderstood.
>
> The point here is that a <mix xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> element as child
> of <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'/>, is different than <mix
> xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> as child element of <message
> xmlns='jabber:client'/>.
>
> I can't remember when something like that has ever caused problems, or
> how I could cause problems in this particular case.

I think that technically XML Schema does *not* distinguish between those two
cases.

This means that (keeping in mind that our XML Schemas are not normative
anyways), we are about to specify things which can fundamentally not be
expressed in XML Schemas.

(At least to my knowledge, when specifying the Schema for an element {X}Y, you
cannot restrict that schema to the situations where {X}Y is a child of {Z}W.)

kind regards,
Jonas