[Standards] Dealing with the choice to have a different MIX roster format

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Jun 15 19:19:39 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
> You misunderstood.
>
> The point here is that a <mix xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> element as child
> of <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'/>, is different than <mix
> xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> as child element of <message
> xmlns='jabber:client'/>.

Only by convention or as part of the application logic; as far as a
parser is concerned those are "the same thing".

> I can't remember when something like that has ever caused problems, or
> how I could cause problems in this particular case.

I think it doesn't cause problems because we normally don't do that.
An example of somewhere else that we do that would be useful if it
exists, otherwise I suspect it's just confusing and should probably be
avoided.

—Sam