[Standards] Dealing with the choice to have a different MIX roster format

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu Jun 15 22:01:32 UTC 2017

On 15.06.2017 21:19, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
>> You misunderstood.
>>
>> The point here is that a <mix xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> element as child
>> of <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'/>, is different than <mix
>> xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:1'/> as child element of <message
>> xmlns='jabber:client'/>.
>
> Only by convention or as part of the application logic; as far as a
> parser is concerned those are "the same thing".

Depends if you parse context aware or not.

> An example of somewhere else that we do that would be useful if it
> exists

I had stream future elements, like <c/>, in mind. But a closer
investigation revealed that they have the same specification when it
comes to their attributes and elements. So you could use a context
insensitive parser and still be fine.

I don't think this is true for <mix/>. So since this is bike shedding
anyway...

- Florian