[Standards] OMEMO Discussion Summary 2017

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jun 21 14:47:46 UTC 2017

Thanks for the summary, Tobias!

On 6/21/17 8:35 AM, Tobias Markmann wrote:

> With that, the media and client developers can point to the version of
> XEP-0384 that is currently widely implemented and the XSF community is
> free to improve the end-to-end security standard OMEMO in XEP-0384
> without the constraints of existing implementations which might follow
> way proposal e) or proposal f) or something else entirely.

The XSF has not traditionally done a wonderful job of archiving previous
versions. I'm concerned that we'd lose track of the SIACS version. Why
wouldn't we continue development of the Olm versions under a new XEP
number, as for instance we've done with XEP-0176 and XEP-0371 or
XEP-0115 and XEP-0390?