[Standards] length of time in ProtoXEP state

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Jun 21 15:47:01 UTC 2017

The problem here is that XEPs usually don't move up the ranks as it is
intended by XEP-0001. We have countless - very essential - stuck in
very low ranks like experimental and draft. This leads to developers
implementing (and deploying to large user bases) experimental and
draft XEPs (which they are not really supposed to) which in turn leads
the XSF enforce higher standards for experimental XEPs.

The deduplication Sam mentions for example is only supposed to happen
when something moves to draft.

So I think we got into that situation somewhat by accident and/or by
our disability to advance XEPs at a reasonable pace.

The fact that standards development is being spread out over years
also leads to the interesting effect that the original author might no
longer be interested/involved which will further delay the development
because nobody feels responsible for that particular XEP.