[Standards] OMEMO Discussion Summary 2017

Vanitas Vitae vanitasvitae at riseup.net
Thu Jun 22 08:32:41 UTC 2017

Hi Dave :)

Am 22.06.2017 um 00:03 schrieb Dave Cridland:
> With OX dead in the water, that leaves MIKEY-SAKKE, for the enterprise
> and (UK) government, and OMEMO, for the consumer.
>
> It's mildly annoying to have two entirely incompatible crypto
> protocols, but in fairness they're two almost entirely incompatible
> markets.

In my opinion it is dangerous to try to make MIKEY-SAKKE and OMEMO
compatible to one another/unite them.

If I remember correctly, MIKEY-SAKKE has "master-key" capabilities
(which might of course be a valid use case for enterprises) allowing a
third (administrative) party to get access to messages.

We should not try to work such functionality into OMEMO, because once
OMEMO has such a feature, it'll be only a matter of time untill the next
"anti-terror" law demands that feature to be activated for everyone by
default. So as annoying as it is to have two competing standards, I
think it is the way to go.

Vanitasvitae