[Standards] length of time in ProtoXEP state

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Jun 23 08:54:44 UTC 2017

On 23 June 2017 at 09:40, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2017, at 22:23, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

>>> I actually do think that would be very helpful; I can't tell you how
>>> often random people I'm talking too say "we tried XMPP, but it didn't
>>> have the feature we wanted" and I say "sure it did, that's XEP-XXXX"
>>> and they reply "no, that was only draft, and we needed a working
>>> version right then". Some variation of that is a significant portion
>>> of conversations I end up having with random people who have tried
>>> XMPP.
>>
>> Names are important, I agree. We picked Draft - I think, it was well
>> before my time - because that's what the IETF used. It's since ceased
>> to be used there; they go straight from Proposed Standard to Internet
>> Standard.
>>
>> We could, equally well, go for the same, but if we're picking terms
>> because of their utility for marketing (and I don't think that's a bad
>> thing to do) then "Stable" seems the better option.
>>
>> It might even be worth having "Unstable", or "Alpha", or something for
>> Experimental, but I'm not so sure about that. I'd rather imply
>> "Bleeding Edge" than "Broken”.
>
> If we did change Draft->Stable, does that imply we’d want to actually make them stable (and get rid of Final)? Draft is currently “best effort at stable, but might have to change”.

I think the fact that there'd be both "Stable" and "Final" would give
enough idea of what the distinction might be.

In practise, we've got *really* good at avoiding breaking changes in
Draft (we're pretty good about it at Experimental actually), so I'm
not worried about being sued by the Advertising Standards Agency on
this one.