[Standards] [XEP-0277] Should we use the whole RFC when a XEP is based upon one

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Jun 23 17:18:39 UTC 2017

On 21 June 2017 at 21:07, Goffi <goffi at goffi.org> wrote:
> your opinion is really welcome on this question

Mine probably won't be. :-)

I've worked on a couple of attempts to mix Atom and XMPP. I didn't
much like the combination.

Atom is designed to be standalone, and the combination mandates a lot
of redundant information that is in two places needlessly at once,
which means information used by XMPP is essentially duplicated in Atom
for no purpose, and information already in Atom, which is unused, is
also in... You get the idea.

For the most part, I'd be looking to implement Atom - if at all - as
an export/feed format for an XMPP-based discussion system, and not use
it as an internal payload format.

Dave.