[Standards] [XEP-0277] Should we use the whole RFC when a XEP is based upon one

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Sat Jun 24 14:02:26 UTC 2017

Le vendredi 23 juin 2017, 19:18:39 CEST Dave Cridland a écrit :
> On 21 June 2017 at 21:07, Goffi <goffi at goffi.org> wrote:
> > your opinion is really welcome on this question
>
> Mine probably won't be. :-)

It sure is!

> Atom is designed to be standalone, and the combination mandates a lot
> of redundant information that is in two places needlessly at once,
> which means information used by XMPP is essentially duplicated in Atom
> for no purpose, and information already in Atom, which is unused, is
> also in... You get the idea.
>
> For the most part, I'd be looking to implement Atom - if at all - as
> an export/feed format for an XMPP-based discussion system, and not use
> it as an internal payload format.

The trick is that Atom already offers a couple of things which are not
standardized yet in XMPP, like categories, or which are not easy to obtain
like modification date. And XEP-0277 allows to easily link one or several
comment nodes.

This could be done entirely in XMPP alone, but it is actually not possible,
and re-using existing specification sounds like a good idea instead of re-
inventing the wheel.

If you remember I've made a talk about it in XMPP summit 2 years ago, with a
demo of the format and a blog engine. This is a major subject for at least 2
projects (SàT and Movim, Jappix being unmaintained today, and I'm not a sure
about Live Jabber), and I hope to see others coming in the future, so it would
be nice to track some interest on this subject, as we don't have the resources
to restart everything from scratch in X years.

Goffi