[Standards] Jingle File Transfer - Receiving party communicating success

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu May 4 06:57:11 UTC 2017

Disclaimer: I haven’t looked into jingle stuff at all yet.

On Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017 16:34:20 CEST Emmanuel Gil Peyrot wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 11:17:17AM +0200, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> > - There is too much 'optional' stuff in the XEP. The hashing stuff for
> > example is virtually useless because I can't be sure the sender will send
> > that.
>
> I would like to introduce a way for the received to request a checksum,
> of either the entire file or a range of it, but for some usecases it
> may not be possible (for example when a client gets its data from a
> pipe, it can read it once but not more).

That would still work if the sender can send the hash at the end of the
transfer. I am not sure if it makes sense to allow requesting only a range of
the file to be hashed -- do you have a specific use-case in mind where that
makes more sense than hashing the whole file?

-- jwi