[Standards] OMEMO and Olm

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 17 15:59:53 UTC 2017

Folks,

My understanding of OMEMO was that we (the XSF) took on the work
explicitly under the assumption that it was not to be based on the
Signal protocol, which had IPR issues, but on Olm, which was
explicitly designed, documented, *and* implemented to avoid such
issues.

You may recall (I certainly do) lengthy discussions about OWS's
tendency to threaten legal action on alternate implementations of
their protocol, particularly their stance that *any* implementation
was bound by the GPL.

As I understand things right now, in order to implement OMEMO one has
to fork libsignal - no other path exists without playing with
fundamental primitives.

A lengthy discussion ensued on this list, involving both Matthew
Hodgson and others who clearly know a lot more about Crypto than I do.
None of their arguments were answered. Remko supplied a PR to match
these. It seems to be being ignored, then rejected out of hand.

Am I wrong, if so, where?

Dave.