[Standards] Council Minutes 2017-05-24

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed May 24 16:23:58 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> Firstly, section 6 of XEP-0001 clearly states that the Author's job is
> to gather and incorporate feedback from the community during the
> lifetime of the XEP. It also clearly states that the XEP author should
> be subscribed to this mailing list. Therefore, I argue that it is
> entirely reasonable to make that requirement on an Author.

Fair enough, FWIW, I have no idea if the author in question does these
things, me saying that I wasn't sure shouldn't lead people to think
the author has been neglecting their duties.
There are many other reasons not to reply; their position maynot  have
changed since this was originally brought up, or they may just want to
see the discussion unfold more
before weighing in and possibly influencing it.

> As for Council members not reading the list, I really don't understand
> this attitude. This is, by my count, the tenth thread on the Standards
> list this month, and many of those are Council Minutes threads. This
> is hardly high traffic. It seems remarkable that any Council members
> feel it's acceptable to routinely ignore the list to the degree
> stated.

Email is a pain, and a not everyone will care about all list content
enough to read it all beyond skimming the titles. I don't see this as
a problem.

—Sam