[Standards] OMEMO and Olm

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu May 25 09:01:34 UTC 2017

On 25.05.2017 10:56, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On 25 May 2017 at 08:26, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
>> On 25.05.2017 08:04, Remko Tronçon wrote:
>>>
>>> I have serious doubts that at least one of them won't have to do *some*
>>> significant work to get rid of the libsignal dependency to be legally in
>>> order, which will mean implementing the ratchet and XEdDSA itself
>>> (unless a library emerges that implements this all from scratch).
>>
>> Why do you think the existing implementations using libsignal are not
>> legally in order?
>>

> I think Smack, while legally in order, is in trouble here.

Thanks Dave, but Remko's statement reads like *every* OMEMO
implementation based on libsignal is legally not in order. Which is a
pretty strong claim, and is borderline, or at least gives the impression
of spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I hope we do not reach those levels in any discussion within the XSF.

- Florian