[Standards] OMEMO and Olm

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Thu May 25 13:15:24 UTC 2017

> Proponents of XEdDSA (and libsignal) have repeatedly made the claim
> that building an XEdDSA implementation is both safe and
> straightforward.
>
> My concern is that nobody has done so.
>
> There might be perfectly sound reasons for this, such as everyone
> working on this has a particular desire for GPL'd output. I'm not sure
> that thrills me, but still.

I wouldn't say particular desire for GPL but rather 'not being bothered' by GPL.
All current OMEMO implementations are 'traditional' open source
clients that are either GPL already or can live with a GPL
re-licensing when OMEMO is enabled.

It's perfectly understandable that those clients are picking the path
of least resistance and are going with a libsignal-protocol variant.
This does not however speak in any form towards the (im)possibility to
create an ODR library based on Olm.

On top of that the ODR version of the XEP hasn't even been published
yet, thus the fact that there is no XEdDSA library only speaks for the
lack of interest.

cheers
Daniel