[Standards] OMEMO and Olm

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Sat May 27 00:27:13 UTC 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017 at 19:29, Philipp Hörist <philipp at hoerist.com> wrote:

> We can make everyone happy, if we just ask around and find someone that is
> willing to add XEdDSA to OLM.

Not everyone. I won't be happy until one can easily make an independent
implementation of this XEP. For me, this means it needs to be built on
generally available crypto primitives.

Concretely, this means 1 of 2 possibilities (as stated earlier):

- Keep the current XEP (i.e. Olm as it is today). It is trivial to
implement independently today, with several alternatives of crypto
libraries. It just needs to be specified properly (split identity keys).
- We change the XEP to use XEdDsa, and someone gets an implementation into
an (peer reviewed and preferably established) crypto library, *independent*
of libolm.

The second path is more work, uncertain, and will take time. But if this is
a price we want to make to keep the current (4?) OMEMO clients happy, then
so be it.

Remko