[Standards] OMEMO and Olm

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Sat May 27 08:29:56 UTC 2017

> On Fri, 26 May 2017 at 19:29, Philipp Hörist <philipp at hoerist.com> wrote:
>>
>> We can make everyone happy, if we just ask around and find someone that
is
>> willing to add XEdDSA to OLM.
>

> Not everyone. I won't be happy until one can easily make an independent
> implementation of this XEP. For me, this means it needs to be built on
> generally available crypto primitives.
>
> Concretely, this means 1 of 2 possibilities (as stated earlier):
>
> - Keep the current XEP (i.e. Olm as it is today). It is trivial to
implement
> independently today, with several alternatives of crypto libraries. It
just
> needs to be specified properly (split identity keys).
> - We change the XEP to use XEdDsa, and someone gets an implementation into
> an (peer reviewed and preferably established) crypto library,
*independent*
> of libolm.
>
> The second path is more work, uncertain, and will take time. But if this
is
> a price we want to make to keep the current (4?) OMEMO clients happy, then
> so be it.

5 Clients. Dino is perfectly capable of sending and receiving messages. It
just lacks a trust UI.

6 Clients if you count profanity which is also able to send and receive
messages but seems abandoned right now and never got around to implement a
Trust interface. Nonetheless it is a good starting ground if someone wants
to take over.

And a smack plugin which will upon the gate for other clients. At least one
of which (Zom) is actively being worked on.