[Standards] Delayed Delivery for CSI and possibly SM

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed May 31 09:25:00 UTC 2017

> On 30 May 2017 at 22:33, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
>> That subelement could be in the namespace of the XEP that adds it.
>> I'm fairly certain that this shouldn't cause problems for any half way
>> decent implementation.
>
> It's the less than halfway decent implementations I'm more concerned about.
>
> It might be worth giving it a go to see what happens.

It's worth pointing out that this will primarily affect
implementations that implement SM or CSI. I think it's fair to assume
that all implementations that implement those are above the 'halfway
decent' threshold.

I'm willing to create PRs for the following three changes if we hereby
agree that we want to handle it this way.

1) Add wording to XEP-0203 that the delay element MAY contain either
character data that provide a natural language description OR an
element of a different namespace describing the reason for the delay.
2) Add a section to XEP-0353 that the server SHOULD add a delay
element to delayed message and presence stanzas that MUST contain a
<csi/> element
3) Add a section to XEP-0198 that the server SHOULD add a delay
element to delayed messages and presences which MUST contain a <sm/>
element

(I think SHOULD wording in doesn't require a namespace bump. But I'm
willing to go with MAY)

cheers
Daniel