[Standards] Delayed Delivery for CSI and possibly SM

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 31 10:02:08 UTC 2017

On 31 May 2017 at 10:56, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
>> On 31.05.2017 11:25, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
>>> 1) Add wording to XEP-0203 that the delay element MAY contain either
>>> character data that provide a natural language description OR an
>>> element of a different namespace describing the reason for the delay.
>>
>> I think a cleaner approach would be to extend <delay/> with an optional
>> <reason/> element, which has an attribute whose value is defined by an
>> registry established in xep203.
>
> Fair enough. But at this point we probably wouldn't get around bumping
> XEP-0203 or would we?

I think we could avoid a namespace bump, as long as it replaces the
optional character data - but it's worth experimenting to see what
clients actually do.

> But we could use the chance to get rid of the XML character content of
> the delay element which is - if not wrapped in a text or something
> like that - pretty ugly anway. (Since it can not be translated and
> all)

We can't entire get rid of the character data without doing a bump,
which I'm not keen on if it's avoidable (and I think it is). We can
deprecate it, note it for compatibility, and add a new element,
though.