[Standards] OMEMO Key Agreement

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 31 19:59:17 UTC 2017

On 31 May 2017 at 20:50, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>> I call bullshit.
>>
>> He copy and pasted some code (and the comments!).
>>
>> The fact he did this then submitted it to another project without
>> attribution and flouting the licensing is actually besides the point -
>> I have no idea in what parallel universe you can say that because
>> someone can copy and paste the code from one file to another this
>> means the spec is fine and anyone could knock out an implementation.
>
> Anyone with an Ed25519 library can already create an implementation,
> as I've explained, none of that code is owed by OWS, it's all either
> from the public domain reference implementation, or it's simple math
> that many other libraries implement. If you're worried about copying a
> handful of
> lines from signal, go copy them from any other ed25519
> implementation.

I really appreciate you trying to explain which parallel universe I
might have found myself in.

But you did copy, amongst possibly other things, a constant-time
conditional-swap routine, along with the comments, from the
"additional" directory of a GPL library, so I can only assume that
copyright law works an entirely different way in this parallel
universe. Is it like patents in my universe, where a defence is that
the invention is obvious to one skilled in the art? We don't have that
defence for copyright in my universe.

But your argument that XEdDSA is simple enough for anyone to implement
by copying other people's code is noted.

Dave.