[Standards] Renaming XEP status 'Draft' to 'Stable'

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 12:40:20 UTC 2017

On 1 November 2017 at 12:35, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As such, I've prepared a change of XEP-0001 here:
> https://github.com/mwild1/xeps/commit/9cebf36e11d5918352b49c1a3e27fec2f17d8005

Without my Board hat on... a couple of things jumped out at me with
this change (which currently is mostly a simple word replacement and
the addition of a note):

1) "Although [...] backwards-incompatible modifications shall be
avoided if at all possible, deployment of a Stable protocol in
mission-critical application may not be advisable."

The name "Stable" implies that the specification is, well, stable. I
would suggest that we either remove or modify this sentence.

 2) "In order for a XEP to advance from Stable status to Final status
(version 2.0), it must be shown to be stable and well-received by the
XMPP developer community."

Here the text talks about the protocol needing to be "stable" before
it advances from Stable to Final. Again, this just feels a bit wrong,
and we might want to reconsider how we define the transition from
Stable -> Final.

Regards,
Matthew