[Standards] Renaming XEP status 'Draft' to 'Stable'

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Mon Nov 6 06:56:30 UTC 2017

On Mittwoch, 1. November 2017 16:01:35 CET Philipp Hancke wrote:
> Am 01.11.2017 um 13:40 schrieb Matthew Wild:
> > On 1 November 2017 at 12:35, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> As such, I've prepared a change of XEP-0001 here:
> >> https://github.com/mwild1/xeps/commit/9cebf36e11d5918352b49c1a3e27fec2f17
> >> d8005>
> > Without my Board hat on... a couple of things jumped out at me with
> > this change (which currently is mostly a simple word replacement and
> > the addition of a note):
> >
> > 1) "Although [...] backwards-incompatible modifications shall be
> > avoided if at all possible, deployment of a Stable protocol in
> > mission-critical application may not be advisable."
> >
> > The name "Stable" implies that the specification is, well, stable. I
> > would suggest that we either remove or modify this sentence.
>
> I think that text predates the use of versioned namespaces. It feels
> much less relevant in the last... decade?

I don’t think versioned namespaces are related to that warning. If a namespace
bump is performed, the ecosystem is still fractured in two (or more) islands
of compatibility until all software is updated.

They only make compatibility breaks more apparent and predictable, but don’t
really help against them.

kind regards,
Jonas