[Standards] Renaming XEP status 'Draft' to 'Stable'

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Mon Nov 6 10:01:08 UTC 2017

On 1 Nov 2017, at 12:40, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 November 2017 at 12:35, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As such, I've prepared a change of XEP-0001 here:
>> https://github.com/mwild1/xeps/commit/9cebf36e11d5918352b49c1a3e27fec2f17d8005
>
> Without my Board hat on... a couple of things jumped out at me with
> this change (which currently is mostly a simple word replacement and
> the addition of a note):
>
> 1) "Although [...] backwards-incompatible modifications shall be
> avoided if at all possible, deployment of a Stable protocol in
> mission-critical application may not be advisable."
>
> The name "Stable" implies that the specification is, well, stable. I
> would suggest that we either remove or modify this sentence.

I think this is a different change from simply renaming Draft to Stable, this is suggesting we change what the meaning of the state currently referred to as Draft means, and again I think we should have a firm business (for some definition of business) case for why that’s a good idea before we go making such a change.

/K