[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Mon Nov 6 19:47:18 UTC 2017

> the same problems since the format is perfectly readable

This is the important part here. (And why I suggested to get rid of
the escaping mechanism)

>> There is exactly no extensibility in this proposal, if tomorrow the
>> trend changes you will end up with all users of clients implementing it
>> not understanding what’s going on.
>
> I do not think this is a problem. I also have no problem adding
> formatting characters similar to the ones already in this spec and
> changing the formatting of older messages.

I actually don't want to have a lot of extensibility in there. I want
all of this human readable (and not in a way that Latex is human
readable) which kind of limits the amount of stuff we can put in
there. But that's a good thing imho.

That being said if for some reasoning blinking text or something like
that becomes a thing we can rather easily add »blink« or something
like that. Because older clients will just render that as »blink«
which is totally fine.

cheers
Daniel