[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Mon Nov 6 20:46:55 UTC 2017

Le lundi 6 novembre 2017, 20:31:32 CET Sam Whited a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017, at 13:17, Emmanuel Gil Peyrot wrote:
> > Markdown(-like) is NOT a plain text format, having the receiving client
> > choose between rendering all formatting characters or stripping them is
> > stupid, and requiring humans to mentally strip them out in older
> > clients is stupid; have you not seen the mess that OTR is for example?
>
> It seems to work just fine for everyone else (Whatsapp, Slack, etc.).

Whatsapp and Slack are particularly bad examples: centralised apps with a
single implementation, they is not need for clean standard in this use case.

> I do not see how this is comparable to OTR or why it would cause any of
> the same problems since the format is perfectly readable and ordinary
> human beings use Whatsapp and appear to be happy with it.

I don't think that "Wow, I can write in `monospace`, even a literal ``backtick
(`)``!" is easily readable.

And you have no indication of markup, so if I copy/paste some code for
instance, some client will render it with markup, some other will correctly
render it without markup. If I escape the code, the markup aware client will
render it correctly, but it will be wrong for all other clients.

++
Goffi