[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Nov 6 21:25:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017, at 14:07, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Why not just use Markdown (or a subset thereof)?

There were two main reasons why I decided not to use actual Markdown:

The first is that, as Link Mauve pointed out, this has most of the same
drawbacks as XHTML-IM (the markdown libraries pass through arbitrary
HTML). Although, in retrospect the body is escaped so this isn't as
likely as XHTML-IM to be a problem unless you unescape and them dump it
into the DOM (which is a problem regardless of what formatting spec you
use).

The main reason though is that this is effectively what Whatsapp and
Slack do (they use more or less the same formatting), and I suspect that
between the two enough people are used to the styling to make it worth
immitating.

—Sam