[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Marvin Gülker m-guelker at phoenixmail.de
Tue Nov 7 15:16:14 UTC 2017

Am 06. November 2017 um 15:29 Uhr -0600 schrieb Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com>:
> > Not using something XML-based in a XEP's format
> > also creates a precedence case from which we don't know where else it
> > will come back at us when other XEPs are made.
>
> I didn't understand this, sorry, could you please rephrase it or attempt
> to clarify?

Until now, XMPP is based on XML throughout all XEPs (that I'm aware
of). This now introduces markup that's not XML for the first time,
requiring a specific parser for it. What I'm saying is just that in
future XEPs, it will be much easier to refer to this one and say "hey,
we already have a XEP that's not based on XML, so what's wrong with
this?". Consequently, XMPP clients are going to accumulate a plethora of
parsers for different formats over time then.

This is a fear, not a fact. It might or might not come true.

Marvin

--
Blog: https://www.guelkerdev.de
PGP/GPG ID: F1D8799FBCC8BC4F