[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Tue Nov 7 20:39:46 UTC 2017

Le mardi 7 novembre 2017, 21:20:07 CET Dave Cridland a écrit :

> Well, no. XHTML-IM sends two message texts in the same message.
> Hopefully they might even have the same content.
>
> In email, there's a method for sending "multipart/alternative" which
> is used for this, and both spammers and marketeers alike insert
> *different* content into each fork, to bypass or confuse
> content-checking or to take advantage of rendering quirks of clients.
> We've yet to deal with the security implications of that.
>
> I'm thinking more like BMH (but probably constrained to a single format).
>
> Dave.

It's not the first time I read this, but multi-content is not a specifity of
XHTML-IM, the RFCs specifically allow multiple body (with different
languages), so nothing new here.

There is also accessibility to take into account (plain text version is useful
for screen readers).

That said, having a single message would not necessarily be a bad idea (I'm
quite in favor of that actually), if it is correctly marked (which is not the
case with current proposal).

Cheers
Goffi