[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Markup

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Wed Nov 8 09:14:43 UTC 2017

On Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 08:44:16 CET Remko Tronçon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 7 November 2017 at 21:34, Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:
> > The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>
> Minor remark: the XEP says that spans MUST NOT overlap. Is there a reason
> for this? I'm asking, because the systems I have seen that use external
> markup
> like this don't impose this.

I think the rule can be loosened to "MUST NOT overlap each others boundaries".

This will be needed if we ever allow erasing characters (see the other branch
of this thread) to do so accurately.

Overlapping boundaries however is tricky; XHTML and the big toolkits (Gtk and
Qt) don’t support that either (you have to merge the styles manually in the
overlapping region, if I’m not mistaken). So I’d like to have the sender fix
that up, because they’ll have to anyways.

kind regards,
Jonas