[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Nov 8 10:04:38 UTC 2017

* Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> [2017-11-08 10:40]:
> I mild annoyance is that the sending client needs to support this. So
> if i'm using mcabber which doesn't support styling I can never trigger
> styling on the receiving side even if I, as a knowing user, know about
> the syntax and the consequences of styling.

What about the following compatibility proposal:
- messages with a BMH(*) of "styling" get styled according to the
  Styling XEP, and the markup characters are removed on display (but not
  on copy&paste)
- messages without a BMH get rendered as markup with the markup
  charachters in place (compatibility)
- messages with a BMH of "plain" get rendered verbatim with no styling
  applied (opt-out)

(*) BMH or an updated version that provides at least "plaintext" and
"styling" values.

A sending client could implement that by sending BMH="styling" by
default, and offering a "remove styling" button on the sent message,
which would send an LMC message with BMH="plain".

Georg