[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Wed Nov 8 10:58:57 UTC 2017

Le mercredi 8 novembre 2017, 11:18:51 CET Jonas Wielicki a écrit :
> On Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 10:58:06 CET Goffi wrote:

> We’re having a nice, civil discussion in xsf@ right now about this, let me
> summarize my current viewpoint on this (as author of the Message Markup
> proposal):[SNIP]

Hi Jonas,

unfortunately I'm too busy now to follow that. The reason why I think style is
not needed anymore is:

- if a client want to do styling, he knows it, and it just have to:
	* use markup element as specified in https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/
markup.html
	* remove, or eventually keep the markup at its discretion

- we can have an extension to markup to specify style-like syntax for markup
characteres we can safely remove, as mentionned in other thread. The syntax
can be exactly the one of style, this would not be an issue.

- at the end, using markup with a style-like syntax is exactly like style at
the only difference that a client doing that must add <markup> element to
specify were the styling is. I would rather not have "*" and other "`" in the

If we keep style with an attribute in addition to markup (and XHTML-IM at
least for a while), we are just multiplying ways to do markup, and make the
message parsing more complicated (and bug prone).

The only reason I would see to keep style is for e2e encryption because OMEMO
doesn't handle anything else that <body>, and this is a bad reason : OMEMO
needs to be fixed, and markup doesn't prevent using it.

Regards
Goffi