[Standards] 2017-11-08 XSF Council Minutes

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Wed Nov 8 19:02:24 UTC 2017

Le mercredi 8 novembre 2017, 17:56:26 CET Jonas Wielicki a écrit :
> On Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 17:49:26 CET JC Brand wrote:
> > jonasw asks that the previously rejected ProtoXEP "Body Markup Hints" be
> > reconsidered as a means to bridge the above two ProtoXEPs.
> >
> > https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/bmh.html
>
> Sorry, to correct: This is not what I said (or at least not what I meant to
> say), and not what I hope BMH to be in this context.
>
> I was proposing BMH as an opt-in mechanism for Styling, because Styling with
> opt-in is essentially BMH with a specific markup.
>
> It won’t play any role in bridgin Markup and Styling.
>
> kind regards,
> Jonas

It seems that there is a strong pushing for styling, so would not it be
possible to

1) make styling dependant of markup
2) remove escaping from styling
3) if styling is used:
	* force use of markup to declare the styling
	* use an additional attribute in <body> as "opt-in"

? I think this would be a satisfory solution for everybody, and this would be
trivial to implement.

I was in favor of making formatting characters mandatory in styling, but if
there is markup and <body> attribute, I think it's not needed anymore.

And please don't use BHM, it's using markdown with all the issues I have
already expressed + it's open to any formatting which is bad idea. Styling
fixes those issues.

Thanks
Goffi