[Standards] 2017-11-08 XSF Council Minutes

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Nov 9 06:57:01 UTC 2017

On Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 21:55:54 CET goffi wrote:
> Le 2017-11-08 20:20, Jonas Wielicki a écrit :
> > On Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 20:02:24 CET Goffi wrote:
> >> I was in favor of making formatting characters mandatory in styling,
> >> but if
> >> there is markup and <body> attribute, I think it's not needed anymore.
> >
> > It is, for clients not supporting markup at all.
>
> No you don't get what I mean: I was suggesting to force client
> supporting style to always display the formatting characters to avoid
> content change, and to be able to safely ignore the style XEP. But if
> the message can be explicitely marked as not styled (e.g. when sending
> the output of a shell command), it is not a problem anymore that client
> supporting style remove formatting characters (on the rendering, I'm not
> talking about the content of the <body>).

Now I understand what you’re getting at. I still find it not a good idea to
remove the meta-characters even with opt-out, because sending programs not
aware of XEP-XXXX Styling don’t know they have to opt-out, and thus their
messages might still be mis-represented. To allow removal of meta-characters,
opt-in is mandatory IMO.

kind regards,
Jonas