[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0387 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2017)

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu Nov 9 07:57:28 UTC 2017

On 09.11.2017 02:07, Arc Riley wrote:
> Since XEP-0114 is historical and its purpose predates SRV records, I'm
> wondering why it was included in the suite for server compliance?

Because it is still the de-facto standard how you plug in external
components into your XMPP server. :)

And what do you mean with "purpose predates SRV records"?

XEP-0114 components can be used with SRV records. If you want the
component to be accessible by other XMPP servers, you just point the
components _xmpp-server SRV record to the s2s port of your XMPP server.
At least that is how I remember it to work.

I'm not sure what a new XMPP component protocol should do
different/better wrt. SRV records?

- Florian