[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0387 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2017)

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 22:54:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> A component protocols allows components to piggyback on the
> s2s capabilities of the XMPP server. And s2s is not trivial to implement
> (Dialback, SASL EXTERNAL, possibly BIDI, …). Therefore a component
> protocol allows developers to focus on the implementation of the
> component's actual task.

This is still an implementation detail. It has zero nominal impact on XMPP
clients or other servers. I would like to see the compliance suite agnostic
to implementation details.

I do not believe S2S is more complicated than implementing component
protocol. For legacy services implemented using component protocol, an XMPP
reverse proxy could be implemented separately from a service provider's
"main" XMPP server and (besides running on a different port) it would be
indistinguishable from running it internal to that "main" server.

Fact is, if you would implement a new XMPP server without xep114, you would
> miss a lot of fun.

I haven't run an XMPP component since the early 2000's and I did not find
it "fun". Quite the opposite actually, but this is beside the point.