[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Nov 15 08:54:07 UTC 2017

On 15 Nov 2017 07:44, "Evgeny Khramtsov" <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:

Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:21:22 +0300
Kozlov Konstantin <yagiza at yandex.ru> wrote:

> I hope the Council will never accept such inconsistent thing as an
> official XEP.

Too late, it's already implemented in Conversations and, since it's
kinda a trend maker, this stuff will stick around. Which is sad,
because:
1) no matter what arguments you bring if a Council member wants
it, it will be merged making all XSF discussions pointless
2) a trend making app is a bad thing: all IT is suffering because of
this and the consequence is hyped adopted technologies (like
Markdown and the whole HTML5 pile of shit) which sucks in technical
sense.

I agree with your second point, although not with both your examples.

While I dislike much of HTML 5, for example, it's demonstrably a de facto
standard, and this is better than fragmentation.

Finally, Conversations might have implemented this, yes, but both Gajim and
Psi have implemented something similar for years. Over a decade, I believe.
Guus implemented it in Spark in very short time, too. Conversations is not
setting a trend here, but following one.

Conversations is following an existing trend. Sam has merely documented it,
and we're trying to ensure that the downsides of this approach - and I
don't think anyone pretends there aren't any - are mitigated.

This is not ideal, it is not perfect, but I think we're well into von
Clausevitz territory[1], and the question should be whether we can control
the inevitable damage.

Dave.

1 - "The enemy of the good plan is the dream of the perfect one".