[Standards] XEP-0392 angle generation

Marcel Waldvogel marcel.waldvogel at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Nov 23 17:22:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-11-23 at 17:02 +0100, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> > * 5.2 Corrections for Color Vision Deficiencies
> >
> > > 5.2.1 Red/Green-blindness
> > > Divide the angle by two.
> >
> > This will change *all* angles, with the exception of 0, when
> > toggling
> > between traditional and color-blind values, which breaks
> > consistency
> > more than necessary.
> > Recommendation: An alternative would be to use the angle modulo π
> > (pi).
> > This would cause half of the colors to remain the same.
> > (For those afraid to calculate modulo an irrational number: The
> > same
> > effect can be achieved by clearing the most significant bit of the
> > 16-
> > bit input value after step 2 of 5.1 instead of doing it on the
> > angle.)
>
> Interesting idea. I will have to take a look how this behaves in some
> color-
> blindness simulators.

It will use colors from the same spectrum, just mapping different JIDs
to different colors. But yes, testing it with a simulator (or real
color-blind people, maybe just ask Marc Zuckerberg ☺) would be an
excellent idea.

> > * 5.5 Adapting the Color for specific Background Colors
> > I presume this "inverse alpha" calculation should be applied
> > always,
> > even on white backgrounds?
>
> Maybe™. We need deployment experience with that (I only played around
> with it
> on some uniformly colored backgrounds for testing, and there the
> effect was
> quite useful). Another way I am thinking of is to fully saturize the
> background color for the "inverse alpha" calculation and separate the
> color
> (hue) from a to-be-specified brightness adaption.
>

> > Otherwise, there is a discontinuity. It
> > would be good to explain the rationale behind this part.
>
> Can you specify what is unclear here?

With discontinuity, I meant that there will be a different color chosen
for those that use the color before 5.5 and after 5.5. So it would be
good to state to always apply 5.5 (or to never apply it or …).