[Standards] XEP-0313: Treatment of type=groupchat in user archive with or without <store/> hint

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Thu Nov 23 18:33:35 UTC 2017

> The main use case for having gc messages in the archive is “I remember I saw someone say something interesting about X, so now I’m going to search my archive for X to find it”, which really needs to have all the messages you’ve seen available, rather than splitting them between multiple sources, some of which won’t support MAM.
>
> I agree that for “catch-up”, it’s not particularly useful, but knowing exactly what messages you’ve seen is.
>
> Perhaps filtering MAM queries on type would be sensible.

OK. I buy the arguments with future proofing for MIX and 'backup'.

However we really need a way to exclude type=groupchat from a normal catchup.
I see three possibilities to achieve this.
1) Add a data form field 'exclude-groupchat' which can be set to '1'
2) Add a multi-item form field 'exclude-types'
3) Add a multi-item form field 'include-types'

I think (2) is the best option here because it is more flexible than
(1) and has a better default if absent behaviour then (3)

If other people agree I can create a PR for that XEP.

cheers
Daniel