[Standards] XEP-0313: Treatment of type=groupchat in user archive with or without <store/> hint

Philipp Hörist philipp at hoerist.com
Thu Nov 23 19:18:19 UTC 2017

Filter options will be necessary in the future or MUC Archives will become
unusable.

Conversations now stores chatmarkers with the store hint inside MUC
Archives, add receipts to that, and you have in a room with 10 people for
every message up to 20 non body messages (1 receipt, 1 chatmarker) stored
in the archive. And this accounts for every client has common sense and
doesnt add a hint to chatstates.
now if i join and want to get the last 100 messages i have to download 2000
(worst case). And also clients have to do this that neither support
receipts nor chatmarkers.
now think about a public room..

but even a filter option that serves me only messages with body does not
help, because then im missing all encrypted messages..