[Standards] XEP-0313: Treatment of type=groupchat in user archive with or without <store/> hint

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Thu Nov 23 22:35:35 UTC 2017

> I'd rather just not archive type=groupchat in the first place (which
> is what current implementations are actually doing anyway). You are
> perfectly right that the user archive server is 1) not the best place
> to archive these messages and 2) not in the best position to make a
> decision about whether they should be archived. Like you and Zash, I
> was surprised at that text in the XEP.

I fully agree with that.
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that a user
archive can not add the real sender jid to group chat archives. (via
the <x/> tag) - which is one more reason getting group chat messages
from the user's archive is not a good idea.

> What we have implemented and deployed today is already working, if we
> can solve this issue with <store>. Let's update the XEP to match what
> implementations are doing, which seems the simple and sensible
> approach. We can additionally add text to clarify that this should
> override the <store> hint

That's probably the most straight forward solution.

cheers
Daniel