[Standards] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-08-01

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 6 15:53:43 UTC 2018

On 6 August 2018 at 16:45, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2018, at 16:25, Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2018-08-01/#14:59:59
> >
> > 1) Roll Call
> > Present: Sam, Dave, Kev, Georg
> > Pursuing business interests in the Middle Kingdom: Daniel
> >
> > 2) Agenda Bashing
> > No agenda changes; Georg liked it, but didn't put a ring on it.
> >
> > 3a) PR #681 - XEP-0050: Remove the status attribute from the request -
> https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/681
> > Dave thinks this seems like a pretty straightforward case of fixing the
> optional inclusion of an attribute that the receiver is mandated to ignore.
> Kev thinks it was the result of a typo ('status' instead of 'action'), and
> fixing the typo might be the better fix.
> > Sam wonders why there should be an optional attribute at all; Dave
> suggests it makes more sense if it's restating a default. Sam thinks it
> should still be required so it can be relied upon, otherwise it's
> cumbersome to have to check whether it's the default value or if it exists;
> Dave clarifies that if it's not the default value then it could be
> cancelling.
> > Dave asks Kev to make a comment noting the typo possibility [reply to
> minutes?], to spur Dave into investigating in more detail (and maybe
> there's an example that clarifies.)
> > Georg thinks Kev is right regarding the typo, but the PR is
> self-consistent and also removes the typo.
> >
> > Dave: +1
> > Sam: +1 (seems very sensible)
> > Georg: +1
> > Kev: [pending]
>
> I’m pending being persuaded that the PR is right, rather than the original
> issue being a typo, BTW. -1 unless someone manages that (or similar).

So after digging, I think Kev's right:

1) The schema includes an optional "status" attribute, but it doesn't have
"execute" as a possible value.
2) The schema does, however, include "action", which has the "execute"
value.
3) §4.1 notes that "action" is only set by the requester, and further notes
that "execute" is the default value.
4) All the examples are consistent with this being a typo - many requests
include "action" set to "execute" whereas none contain a status attribute.

Therefore I concur with Kev, and hereby change my vote to -1.

Dave.